Production planning at Zurich Airport
The Operations & Capacity Planning section of Flughafen Zürich AG is part of the Planning & Engineering department and the Aviation division.
Operations & Capacity Planning is responsible for the seasonal, short-term, medium-term and long-term planning of landside and airside infrastructures. The planning horizon extends from the current timetable period to the airport's capacity limit.
The purpose of seasonal and short-term planning is to ensure that available landside and airside infrastructures, such as the check-in counters, stands and gates, are used efficiently and optimally in the day-to-day running of the airport. The optimisation and development of landside and airside user concepts play a key role here (see Seasonal Production Planning, SPP). They are defined in close collaboration with various internal and external partners and determine how the infrastructures will be used. Operations & Capacity Planning also actively fosters relations with airline representatives, handling agents and other external partners, and assesses their customer needs as a direct contact.
Working in collaboration with various internal departments and sections, medium- and long-term planning reveals information about future capacity bottlenecks and identifies possible ways of resolving such bottlenecks in a timely fashion. Various traffic development scenarios, terminal simulations and other analyses serve as a basis for this.
Seasonal Production Planning (SPP)
Seasonal Production Planning (SPP) is undertaken by the Operations & Capacity Planning section each time the timetable changes. SPP is designed to give all partners involved in day-to-day flight operations an overview of the forthcoming timetable period. Production schedules are published online one month before the start of each season and include the following key points:
- Compiling seasonal traffic forecasts (passengers and flights) and highlighting changes to the flight timetable (extensions/suspensions and increased/reduced flight frequency)
- Demonstrating how the infrastructure is to be used, and highlighting bottlenecks based on one reference day/week
- Identifying operational solutions to guarantee efficient and optimum day-to-day operations
- Drafting landside and airside user concepts for efficient use of the check-in, gate and stand infrastructure based on traffic forecasts
- Overview of the available infrastructure and the current landside and airside construction sites
- Compiling all key information and operational planning data for internal and external partners before the start of the season
Do you have any questions or comments? We will be happy to answer these over the phone or by e-mail.