Air quality at Zurich Airport
Air quality is an important consideration and key focus at Zurich Airport.
Calculation and modelling
Emissions from all airport-related sources have been calculated for various pollutants since 1991.
Realistic concentration dispersions are calculated with state-of-the-art computer software (e.g. LASPORT). This also helps to assess the contribution of the airport to the total concentrations.
In addition, the air quality in the region, in particular nitrogen oxides, but also particulate matter and ozone, is measured by the Canton of Zurich's Office for Waste, Water, Energy and Air. This shows that the pollution concentration is not higher than in other urban areas of Switzerland.
Measures to reduce pollutantsTo further improve the quality of air, a variety of measures are being implemented by all partners at the airport. Their goal is to avoid and reduce emissions from flight operations, handling, infrastructure and landside traffic.
The aircraft emission charges introduced in 1997, fixed ground power systems, modern heating plants and public transport initiatives are key to achieving this.
Zurich Airport is considered a European leader in this environmental aspect.
Flughafen Zurich AG has produced a large number of studies and reports which are available here.
- Ultrafine Particle Measurements at Zurich Airport (pdf, 1.03 MB)Ultrafine Particle Measurements at Zurich Airport
- Diesel Particle Filters for GPU (pdf, 1.29 MB)Diesel Particle Filters for GPU
- Environmental Benefits of A-CDM (pdf, 0.22 MB)Environmental Beneftis of A-CDM at Zurich Airport
- Advanced Aircraft Emission Modeling (pdf, 3.93 MB)Advanced Aircraft Emission Modeling
- Zurich Airport Air Quality Sensitivities (pdf, 1.17 MB)Technical Report Airport Air Quality Sensitivities
- Emission Reduction in Airside Traffic (German) (pdf, 0.70 MB)Emission Reduction in Airside Traffic
- Fuel Dumping (pdf, 0.36 MB)Fuel Dumping
- Aircraft Ground Handling Emissions (pdf, 0.89 MB)Technical Report Methodology and Emission Factors Zurich Airport
- 2010 Zurich LAQ Modelling Sensitivities (pdf, 1.56 MB)Sensitivities of Aircraft Operational Improvements
- Zurich Airport Ground Energy Systems (pdf, 1.92 MB)Technical Report Aircraft Ground Energy Systems (englisch)
- Airport Local Air Quality (pdf, 1.70 MB)Zurich Airport Regional Air Quality Study 2013 (englisch)
- ACI EUROPE Local Air Quality Study 2010 (pdf, 2.42 MB)Technical Report Local air quality assessments during the volcano eruption in Iceland in April 2010
- Aircraft NOx-Emissions - Operational LTO Cycle (pdf, 0.44 MB)Technical Report Aircraft NOx-Emissions within the Operational LTO Cycle
- GPU Emission Factors (pdf, 0.35 MB)Technical Report GPU Emission Factors
- Thrust Reverse Emissions (pdf, 0.17 MB)Technical Report Thrust Reverse Emissions
- Aircraft Taxitime Reduction Benefits (pdf, 0.10 MB)Technical Report Aircraft Taxitime Reduction Benefits
- APU Emission Calculation Methodology (pdf, 0.47 MB)Technical Report APU Emission Calculation Methodology